Friday, December 7, 2012

Soligor 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 zoom macro

Couldn't find out much about this lens.  I would guess it was made in the late 70's or early 80's since it is a zoom lens with an FD mount. Here is an image in Macro mode using Ilford HP5 developed in Xtol.











I have had this lens for about a year, but hadn't used it much.  The main reason I got is because it was going for a cheap price on Ebay and is an FD lens with a useful zoom range.  I figured it was worth a chance.

Lately, I decided to give it a test on the Canon T70.  So far I have been pleased with the results.  The Soligor is fairly compact for a zoom of its era and well-made.  Another image with HP5.













I took this one with some of the last of the Kentmere 400 on a foggy morning.















Not much time for more commentary on this lens.  There is a Soligor 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 zoom macro gallery here so you can form your own opinion.

Since FD lenses are not easily adaptable for use with digital cameras they haven't suffered the price inflation that some MF lens which can be adapted have.  So excellent real Canon FD lens are still pretty reasonable.  And third-party lenses like the Soligor are even cheaper.  I know some people look down on such lenses, however I think that if you have a camera that uses the FD system then the FD Soligor 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 zoom macro might be worth trying. I also imagine this lens was available in most other mounts although I am not sure what kind of price those might bring.











No comments:

Post a Comment