Friday, April 27, 2012

Argus CR-1

Probably made in 1975 by Chinon. It was distributed in the US by what was left of the Argus company.












I think I have said before that I have a soft spot for cameras with the name of Argus.  I also have a fondness for the classic mechanical slr.  So it is only natural that I should have this camera.  The Argus CR-1 was not effected by the tendency in the mid-seventies for an slr become smaller and lighter. It may be the heaviest slr that I have. The shutter goes from 1 to 1/1000 along with the B setting.  The viewfinder is reasonably bright. The real surprise in this camera is in the standard Auto Cintar 1:2.0 lens.  It is  quite sharp and contrasty.  Probably is was made by Chinon, however I have seen speculation that it was made by some other company like Tomioka. Whatever the source to me it is one of the better M42 lenses.

























I am running short on time for blogging today so I'll leave with the Argus CR-1 Gallery.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a competent performer. I have a soft spot in my heart for Arguses too, though I've tended to shy away from those not actually manufactured by Argus.

    ReplyDelete