Monday, March 12, 2012

Vivitar PS 55s


Lens: 30mm f/5.6, 3 elements in 3 groups.
Focusing: Fixed focus (5 ft/ 1.5 m to infinity).
Flash: Built-in electronic sensor flash. Recycle time 6 seconds with fresh batteries.
Film: 35mm, 400 iso recommended.
Battery: 2 AA





I have to admit that I got this camera because it is red and it was cheap. All the technical detail that I could find is listed next to the photo.  I couldn't find anything about shutter speed, however if it is like most of this type of camera the speed is around /125. 

You might not know that Vivitar was an American company.  They started out importing German and then Japanese camera products and eventually commissioned Japanese manufacturers to make products that they had designed.  They were one of the first companies to use computers to assist in the design of a lens.  During the 1980's and 1990's they appear to have put out an infinite number of cheap point and shoot cameras. Probably the Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim is the most famous of this breed.  Vivitar fell on hard times during the 2000's and the name ended up being bought by Sakar International. They use the Vivitar name on some mid-priced digital cameras and on DSLR lenses.  

So far I have only put one roll of Fuji 400 through the PS 55s.  I am pleased with the results.  I like the small amount of softness and the slight glow that some of the images have.  The camera didn't seem to have any problem with lighting from a dull cloudy day to a bright sunny one.  Not being much for flash photography I failed to test the flash. 
















I wouldn't say that this is a must have camera, however if you encounter one for a good price I think you will be pleased. 

Vivitar PS 55s Gallery


No comments:

Post a Comment