Monday, November 26, 2012

Olympus ∞ Stylus ZOOM (DLX)

Introduced: 1993
Lens: 35-70mm zoom, f/4.5-6.9
Automatic exposure with programmed shutter speeds: 1/5-1/400s on some models and up to 2 seconds or even B (bulb) on others.
Power: 3V lithium CR123A.
Dimensions: 124x64x45mm.




I believe this was the first zoom camera in the Olympus mju/Stylus series.  This series was one of the most popular camera series of all time.  Altogether more than 20 million were sold.  Today the Olympus mju/Stylus series is unusual in that it is one of the few 1990's point and shoots for which there is still some demand.  Probably the first in series non-zoom models are the most popular, however the zoom types have some fans. 

I think Simon is a good test subject for a camera.  Here with him being a dark subject with a light background he shows that the Stylus DLX performs well with its auto exposure.  I think the auto focus also did well in that he is a subject who doesn't often stand still.I do occasionally get a light leak with this camera.








I liked what seems to me a good rendering of the color in this image.











From the few images that I have taken with this camera I can see why they have been so popular.  The Olympus Stylus is a camera that is small enough for a shirt pocket, however it gives some of the best results that I have gotten from an automatic point and shoot.




So if you are looking for a compact 35mm camera the Olympus mju/Stylus series is worth looking into.  From what I have read people seem to think that the non-zoom versions give the best results.  However from my experience with just one of the zooms I would say they are worth some consideration.  Also the zooms cost much less.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy my Stylus Epic 80 Zoom. I should use it more often. Its autoexposure can't handle some high-contrast situations but for most routine work it is a peach.

    I see other cameras in this series from time to time for cheap and am always tempted, but I'm running out of places to put cameras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about running out of space. I have pretty much reached capacity unless I can come up with some more creative storage ideas.

      Delete