Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Vivtar EZ35

Seems like it has been a while since I took some pictures with a cheap plastic camera. The Vivitar EZ35 is certainly in that category. I think the aperture is f/8 and the shutter speed is 1/125. There is not much else to it.






One thing I have just realized about this sort of camera is that it is pretty hard to be disappointed in the results since my expectations at the start are so low.

Sometimes it is interesting to shoot into the sun.








There must have been a panorama craze with these cheap cameras for a time.  A lot of the cameras that I would guess are in the post time-life type camera era have some option for fake panoramas. The EZ35 has a mask that is inside the camera that cuts off part of the upper and lowers frames.  If you want normally framed images you have to remove the mask before you load the film. I only discovered this after taking a roll of film so I got all panoramas.















Here is the optional black border showing how much is cut out of the frame.






















This format does leave quite a bit of room for text.  Unfortunately at least for me there is not a lot to say about this camera. I used Kentmere 400 developed in Xtol for the images.











































4 comments:

  1. I never understood the fake-panorama mini-craze. This was a sellable feature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fad that I completely missed at the time it was happening. Somebody must have thought it was a sellable feature since so many cameras had it. It would be interesting to hear from someone who knew the reason for all the panorama cameras.

      Delete
  2. Never understood but maybe they did to try and compete with the aps cameras that were out at the time as most of them seemed to have a panorama feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the reason. I never have used one of the aps cameras.

      Delete