Friday, November 9, 2012

Imperial Savoy

I found this camera at a shop in Sullivan IL Wednesday.  It still needs some cleaning up, however it is a nice example of a popular box camera made by the Imperial Camera Corp. of Chicago during the late 1950's to the early 1960's.








Haven't had much new stuff to blog about in the last couple weeks.  Since having some good luck at the Covered Bridge Festival I haven't come across much else.  I have seen a lot of these Savoy cameras, however this is the first one that I came across with a flash attachment.  More than likely I won't run any film through it since it takes 620 film and I have run out of the desire to re-spool 120 film to work for 620 cameras. Still it is kinda a interesting camera to look at.  In its simple way I think is shows some of the spirit of the early space age. 

The Imperial Savoy came in different colors.  I have this one in green.  There also are blue, red, and tan versions.





















That is it for now.  Hopefully, I will think up some more things to post about.

4 comments:

  1. I see these around from time to time but am not charmed by them. I dunno, maybe someday I should bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably not one that I would always want to buy. I think it was the combination of having not found anything else and the flash attachment that made it attractive.

      Delete
  2. I like that! With the logo and that color...it just says Early 60s to me. I assume it is from about that time period..nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the time period. I think they stopped making it in 1963. I can't imagine this design being used in any other time period.

      Delete