Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Yashica FX-3 Super

  • Shutter metal focal plane
  • Shutter speeds B, 1-1/1000
  • Exposure meter shutter release activated CdS TTL with over/under LEDs
  • Battery 2 x SR44/LR44 1.5v
  • Hotshoe, but no PC sync 
  • flash ready indicator in the finder. 
  • Self-timer (Mirror Lock Up) 


 I found this Yashica FX-3 Super at the Covered Bridge Festival the same day that I found the Pentax K1000 that I wrote about earlier.  For $10 I got the camera along with a lens and a couple of flash units.  Introduced in 1984 the FX-3 Super was one of three models of the FX-3 made for Yashica by Cosina.  All were on the economy level, however since they use the Yashica/Contax lens mount they can use the many excellent lenses made for this mount.  And even if this was an economy model that doesn't mean that it isn't well-made.  In fact, other then the well-known problem in this brand of cameras with the leather covering, the FX-3 has proven to be a durable and dependable camera.  Of course in features there isn't a lot to talk about.  The whole story is in the list above. There isn't anything in this camera that would keep you always looking up info in the camera manual.  Much like the K1000 the FX-3 just gives you the basics.  It is funny to me that I should find two cameras of the same spirit on the same day.  Both the FX-3 and the K1000 are basic cameras elevated by their dependability and access to a great system of lenses.

You might have noticed the lens that came with my FX-3.  It is a Sakar 35-200mm f3.5/4.8 Macro Zoom Lens. So far I haven't found much info on this lens.  I think I would be safe in guessing that it was an economy model.  Eventually I'd like to get a Yashica/Contax lens to try out.  Anyway here are a couple of images from the Sakar.

















2 comments:

  1. I always stay away from the CBF because of the traffic and crowds... but you got some really excellent bargains there on these cameras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't very crowding the last couple of years when we went on the first day. From what I hear the crowds aren't what they used to be.

      Delete