Friday, October 19, 2012

Asahi Pentax K1000

Asahi Pentax K1000 with Sears Auto MC 1:1.7 lens. I found the camera body at one of the flea markets taking place during the Parke County, IN Covered Bridge Festival. So far I don't have the 50mm f/2 SMC Pentax that was standard with this camera.  Although I think the Sears lens is pretty good.









I didn't have high expectations when I went to this years CBF.  However right at the start I got lucky in finding a nice Yashica FX-3. After that it was a long run of dirty over-priced box cameras.  Then I came across this K1000 in excellent shape. It was marked $25 and I got the dealer to come down to $18.  From the serial number it looks like it was made sometime between 1976 to 1978.  The body almost looks new and the viewfinder is bright and clear.  After having run a roll of Kentmere 400 it also seems like the exposure meter is working well.

Eventually I would like to get some of the K lenses that Pentax made, however I think Sears f1.7 lens does a nice job.  I believer this len is a re-branded Rikoh Rikenon.




















The K1000 is famous for being a camera that has just the basics that you need and nothing more. For years it was the camera that students learned photography with.  And from my own experience I would say that it is a pleasure to shoot with.  There is just enough in this camera to be helpful, but nothing to distract from actual picture taking.  I can easily see why this camera has a fan base.

In reading about the K1000 I came across this article by Jason Schneider. Schneider used to write about camera collecting for Modern Photography.  Later he became Editor in Chief for Popular Photography.  If you like camera collecting his books on the subject are worth seeking out. Schneider was not a camera snob.  In his writings he covered both common and rare cameras.  Anyway I think his article on the Asahi Pentax K1000 covers the topic well.

Featured User Collectible Camera: The Pentax K1000 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Nice work with the Pentax -- and thanks for the tip on Jason Schneider, who I'd not heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy reading Schneider. His books are usually sell used on Amazon for less than $20. They were written in the 70's and give a good flavor of what the world of photography was like back then. Ivor Matanle has some good stuff also. I have his Classic SLR book and it is a good look at the slr before electronics took over.

      Delete
  2. nice find looks really clean. I'm a fan of the K1000 the one I own is probably my most used film camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh, I think the K1000 might become one of my most used cameras also.

      Delete