Thursday, September 6, 2012

Photos from Miranda Fv

This corn crib, built in the early 1960's, was probably one of the last to be built in this area. It was used to store whole ears of corn. Shortly after it was built farmers began to shell corn in the field and store it in grain bins like the one to the left of the corn crib.






I now have some results from the Miranda Fv that I wrote about on Tuesday. I developed the Kentmere 400 that I took with the Miranda Fv in Xtol 1+1 for 9.5 minutes.  The results were a little more grainy than prior results with this combination.  I also found that the shutter occasionally sticks with this camera and the mirror doesn't always return.  These failures knocked out a few shots.  Looks like I will need to do a little work on this camera.  Still it doesn't seem like anything major is wrong with it.


Overall I thought the results with the Auto Miranda f/1.9 lens were okay.  I was in a hurry to finish this roll so many of the images were shot in poor light and at shutter speeds too low to prevent camera shake.  After being used to having image stabilization it sometimes is easy to forget how difficult it can be to achieve a steady shot handheld at slower shutter speeds.  The image of the mail box is one of the few slow shutter speed images that came out okay.









 Here is one with the lens wide open.























Aside from what seem to be fairly easily correctable problems, I am satisfied with the results from the Miranda Fv.  I can't say that I was so impressed that it is likely to become one of my regularly used film cameras, however it certainly is a very usable camera, capable of decent results.  Although maybe once I get it back to a fully functioning condition it may rise in my esteem.  One thing I especially like about this camera is having the shutter release on the front.  At least on this camera it seems like a natural fit. 

Mostly it looks like the main value that the Miranda Fv has to me now is its looks.  For me at least it is a camera that doesn't have to work well for me to take pleasure in it.

2 comments:

  1. I have any number of cameras here that are good lookers but ho-hum users! But if this camera isn't going into your regular rotation, will you even bother to fix its issues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may work on it sometime this winter. Although if the problems are worse than I think they are I will just keep it for its looks.

      Delete