Monday, September 17, 2012

Polaroid One Step Rainbow and Vivitar PN2011


  • 1 element plastic lens with fixed aperture (103mm, f14.6)
  • 4ft minimum focus distance.
  • Exposure compensation dial around electric eye.
  • Uses SX-70 integral film.











There must have been a lot of the One Step Rainbows made since I see them at garage sales all the time.  I got this one over the weekend at a church sale where they were giving things away.  So I couldn't pass on a free camera.  This one came in a bag with the manual.  It is very clean and I think it would be a good bet to still work if I wanted to spend the money to get film for it.  I have to admit that I kinda like the way it looks. So right now it is just a looking at camera.


  • Fixed focus.
  • Manual film advance.
  • Aperture: f/8 .
  • Wide angle 28mm lens.
  • Shutter speed fixed at 1/125s.
  • Lens cover opens and closes via sliding switch.
  • Tripod socket.
  • No batteries required.



This one is a bit of a "cult camera".  Do a search and you'll find a fair amount of discussion.  The PN2011 reminds me some of the Vivitar UWS although its 28mm lens is not as wide as the 22mm that the UWS has. The PN2011 does beat the UWS in having the familiar fake panorama mode.

The Vivitar PN2011 has a useful wide-angle.  It is very light and easily fits in a shirt pocket. 



















Sharpness is mostly a quality that you may often have to do without in the PN2011.  It doesn't seem to have the vignetting that frequently happens with the UWS.










This Vivitar EZ35 was in the box with the Vivitar PN2011.  It has a fairly normal 35mm lens.  I imagine it will be a while till I get around to seeing what kind of pictures it takes. 







So this week it was back to the cheap plastic cameras.  This entire haul cost $1.50.  It would have been only 50 cents, however I made a $1 donation to the church sale.  




5 comments:

  1. I have two vivitar pn2011 I bought at church yard sale. I wanted to reverse the lens on them but haven't got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about doing the lens reversal too. Looks like it would be a good camera to try it on.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to have a rainbow One Step in that nice of condition. One day I will. Right now I have an SX-70 and a Pronto! sitting here waiting for me to screw together the courage to try Impossible Project film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess you will come across one. I have bought three of them this summer and never paid more than a dollar. The one in the picture is the nicest although all three were in good shape. I did get lucky earlier in the year and I got an empty 600 film cartridge in another camera. The battery still works and I can use it to test the cameras. The 600 cartridge will go in an SX-70 if you slide it in with a piece of paper under the tabs on the bottom.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, great tip. Now I can test my SX-70 before I spend all that money on film in case it doesn't work -- I have a spent 600 cartridge here.

    ReplyDelete