Friday, June 15, 2012

Canon T70

Introduced in 1984 the Canon T70 is probably one of the first film cameras that would not seem alien to someone who had only used digital cameras. The T70 has three daylight programmed exposure modes along with shutter-priority AE, and manual mode.

I was totally unaware of this camera when it came out.  I was still happy shooting with my Canon F1 and thought the only people who needed what cameras like the T70 offered were those who couldn't learn to use a real camera.  It wasn't until I was exposed to such features when I started using digital that I realized that they can be helpful. 

I don't find the T70 very appealing aesthetically, however it does feel comfortable in the hands and is fairly light.  The viewfinder is big and bright.  And with my eyesight I find the split-image rangefinder helpful.  While not as full-featured as the Canon T90, the T70 does have all that you should need most of the time.  And usually the T70 costs much less than a working T90.  For a nice camera to use with FD lenses the T70 deserves consideration if you feel the need for things like multiple exposure modes and auto-winding.  Right now Canon FD lenses are probably the best you can get for the money.  Since Canon decided to abandon the FD system when it introduced EF lenses and because it is not easy to adapt FD lenses to digital cameras FD lenses are mostly limited to film shooters. Which is good if you are a film shooter.  Today it is fairly easy to find a Canon body like the T70 with a lens like the f/1.8 50mm for under $50.  Such a combination can give you excellent results with film.

If you would like to read more about the Canon T70:
Additional information on Canon T70 Camera, 1984
Canon T70 From Wikipedia

The images in the gallery were all taken using the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. The film is Legacy Pro 100 developed in HC-110 solution B at 68 for 5:30.
Canon T70 Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment