Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Some Black & White Images

Taken with an Argus A-Four on Arista.edu Premium 400.  I got this camera a while back mostly because it is an Argus and I like the name A-Four.  If you want to know more about the Argus A-Four I think it is covered well  here. Some people say that Arista.Edu Premium is actually Tri-X




If you know me well you would know that I tend to be a seasonal person.  I would guess that comes from growing up in the Midwest on a farm.  While I may use Black & White film at any time, my two main seasons for B&W are after Christmas until Spring and Mid-Summer until Fall. I offer no analyses for this  personal inclination.  Instead I am just saying that now is one of my black & white seasons.  And so today I am posting some B&W images from a variety of films and cameras.  Mostly these are cameras that so far haven't sustained my interest enough to make a post or gallery about them. 

Taken with Argus C4 on Kentmere 400.  I probably will do a post on the C4 one day since it is my favorite Argus.  After having tried some inexpensive 400 ISO films I decided to get a bulk roll of Kentmere 400. At times it is a little more grainy than I would like, however I think some of that is working out the best way to develop it .




Taken with Konica C35 AF the first auto focusing camera. It does a decent job, however for me I mostly have it because it was a first of its type and inexpensive to buy.  The film is Legacy Pro 100. I liked Legacy Pro 100 a great deal.  It worked well with Rodinal stand development. I made a mistake in not stocking up on it, thinking it would be available longer than it turned out to be. 






Taken with Minolta Maxxum 5000i on Fomapan 100.  I used the 35-80mm zoom which isn't highly regarded although some of the results weren't bad.  Fomapan 100 is another fairly inexpensive b&w film.








Canon T50 50mm f/1.8 using the reliable classic Kodak Tri-X.















Lastly, Sears 35 motor AF using Arista.Edu 400.  This camera is a typical 80's point & shoot.  Can't find much info on it.   Looks like it had some potential, however it stopped working about mid-way through the first roll.

































4 comments:

  1. B&W photos have held an increasing charm for me the older I get, in this totally saturated age of color. Can't say for sure why, though. So, I'm happy your in one of your "b&w seasons". 'u'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me one part of it is the timeless look that many b&w images have. I think I had to get to a certain age to notice that and than a little older to appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking back to my Argus A-Four post. I love my A-Four; it's one of my favorite cameras.

    Way to try the alternative films. So far I've just stuck with Fuji and Kodak... although as a kid sometimes I shot whatever the drug-store brand was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing a variety partly in an attempt to find one that has a good price along with the other qualities that I like. For a while I had found that in Legacy Pro 100 which was supposed to be Fuji Neopan. Then that was discontinued. I do wish I had stocked up on that film.

      Delete