Friday, July 6, 2012

Vivitar PS25 Focus Free/Motor

Probably made sometime in the late 1980's.  One of a large number of inexpensive point & shoots sold by Vivitar.











Someday I would like to find a listing of all the point & shoot cameras that were made with the Vivitar name from the 1980's up until that brand no longer appeared on film cameras.  The information must exist somewhere and I would guess that the number of models is very large.  Certainly the numbers are very large in comparison to the number of people who would like that data.

The Vivitar PS25 is likely a camera that I picked up at a garage sale for a dollar or so.  It has only one aperture of what looks like f/5.6.  The shutter speed is likely the 1/125 that appears to be the standard for cameras of this type.  The focus is fixed.  It uses DX coding for the built-in flash.  That flash comes on automatically if you need extra light.  A motor advances and rewinds the film.  I'd guess it was sold fairly cheaply in places like Walmart. I tend to think of a camera like the Vivitar PS25 as being in the spirit of the box cameras of the 1940's and 1950's.  A cheap easy to use camera for the masses that took reasonably good photos.  Although I have my doubts that these cameras will ever inspire some of the nostalgia that cameras like the Kodak Brownies do. Still I admit that the looks of some of this type of camera has grown on me.  Fortunately if cameras like the Vivitar PS25 ever become objects of camera collecting desire there should be plenty to go around.  

I could be wrong, however from the few photos I have taken with the PS25 I have a feeling that it has the potential to make some interesting photos.  Still so far I haven't felt motivated to further explore its possibilities.  For now all I have is the images in the Vivitar PS25 Gallery.


1 comment: