Friday, July 13, 2012

KMZ Helios 44-2 58mm F/2

Optical Formula: 6 elements in 4 groups.
Lens Mount: M42
Aperture Range: f/2 - f/16.
Minimum Focusing Distance:  0.5 meter
Aperture Blades: 8












Last summer I went on a small kick for getting cameras and lenses made in the USSR.  The Helios 44-2 is one of those purchases.  Strangely other then when I first got the Helios I haven't used it much.  I say strangely because the quality of the images from this lens is mostly excellent. I rediscovered that when I decided to do a few posts about equipment from the USSR.  I was very impressed by some of the results that I got with the Helios 44-2.  I was also stuck by the idea that it would be best if I spent more time getting to know some of the cameras and lenses that I have gotten in the last year or two and spend less time working to get more.  Seems like I have been in a pattern of testing out the newest thing and then moving on to the next newest thing.  I think my new pattern will be to spend more time with what I already have.  


The Helios 44-2 was the standard lens for many of the Zenit SLRs.  It appears that it was made from the mid-60's to early 80's in the M42 mount. After that is was made, possibly even to the present day, in the K mount.  The Helios 44-2 is copy of the design of the carl zeiss biotar 58mm f2, This design it said to work well in reducing optical aberrations.  The Soviets appear to have done a good job in their use of this design because from my experience and from reviews that I have read the Helios 44-2 seems to be a very good lens.  Probably the main problem you might have is that the Soviets are said not to have been very concerned with quality control. So if you do get a Helios 44-2 and get poor results it is likely that you have been unfortunate in having gotten a clunker.  


The Helios 44-2 is said to have excellent bokah.  I also find that it is pretty sharp wide-open.









Colors seem very natural with the Helios 44-2.  














Because the earlier versions of the Helios 44-2 probably have just a single coating lack of contrast and flare could be a problem under some lighting conditions.  I haven't run into such problems so far although so far I haven't used it much in conditions that might bring out that problem. 


I believe that the Helios is my favorite purchase from the USSR.  Although to some degree I have been pleased with all the items that I bought during my USSR phase.  I also found the Ebay sellers from the former USSR countries to be excellent. Maybe I was just lucky however without an exception their descriptions of their items turned out to be accurate and their packaging and shipping speed was first-rate.  


My plan now is to slow down and get to know some of my cameras better.  I think that next in line is a couple of FEDs and a Zorki.


If you would like to see a little more of the results from this lens here is the KMZ Helios 44-2 58mm F/2 Gallery.