Friday, July 13, 2012

KMZ Helios 44-2 58mm F/2

Optical Formula: 6 elements in 4 groups.
Lens Mount: M42
Aperture Range: f/2 - f/16.
Minimum Focusing Distance:  0.5 meter
Aperture Blades: 8












Last summer I went on a small kick for getting cameras and lenses made in the USSR.  The Helios 44-2 is one of those purchases.  Strangely other then when I first got the Helios I haven't used it much.  I say strangely because the quality of the images from this lens is mostly excellent. I rediscovered that when I decided to do a few posts about equipment from the USSR.  I was very impressed by some of the results that I got with the Helios 44-2.  I was also stuck by the idea that it would be best if I spent more time getting to know some of the cameras and lenses that I have gotten in the last year or two and spend less time working to get more.  Seems like I have been in a pattern of testing out the newest thing and then moving on to the next newest thing.  I think my new pattern will be to spend more time with what I already have.  


The Helios 44-2 was the standard lens for many of the Zenit SLRs.  It appears that it was made from the mid-60's to early 80's in the M42 mount. After that is was made, possibly even to the present day, in the K mount.  The Helios 44-2 is copy of the design of the carl zeiss biotar 58mm f2, This design it said to work well in reducing optical aberrations.  The Soviets appear to have done a good job in their use of this design because from my experience and from reviews that I have read the Helios 44-2 seems to be a very good lens.  Probably the main problem you might have is that the Soviets are said not to have been very concerned with quality control. So if you do get a Helios 44-2 and get poor results it is likely that you have been unfortunate in having gotten a clunker.  


The Helios 44-2 is said to have excellent bokah.  I also find that it is pretty sharp wide-open.









Colors seem very natural with the Helios 44-2.  














Because the earlier versions of the Helios 44-2 probably have just a single coating lack of contrast and flare could be a problem under some lighting conditions.  I haven't run into such problems so far although so far I haven't used it much in conditions that might bring out that problem. 


I believe that the Helios is my favorite purchase from the USSR.  Although to some degree I have been pleased with all the items that I bought during my USSR phase.  I also found the Ebay sellers from the former USSR countries to be excellent. Maybe I was just lucky however without an exception their descriptions of their items turned out to be accurate and their packaging and shipping speed was first-rate.  


My plan now is to slow down and get to know some of my cameras better.  I think that next in line is a couple of FEDs and a Zorki.


If you would like to see a little more of the results from this lens here is the KMZ Helios 44-2 58mm F/2 Gallery.

2 comments:

  1. Great article. I like the M42 screwmounts on my old Pentax Spotmatic. I would be interested, in your thoughts on the FED II
    It looks like a fine camera if you can get it in descent shape. I'm saving up for a Leica 6 and a fast used 35mm lens. Those older rangefinders are a special bunch.
    I just want a Rangefinder with a meter in it! like the cheaper Voightlander R4M.
    But want Leica quality without the exorbitant price. Yeah doesn't exist, and absolutely no digital.

    Thanks for sharing your Article. Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny that you should mention the FED II. That is the one I am planning to use this weekend. I don't think that I have had it out since last fall. The one I have is in pretty good shape. It has a bright rangefinder spot. So it is fairly easy to focus even when the light is fairly low. It does make sharp images and seems to work especially well with b&w. Of course that is the lens. Which I seem to remember is an Industar 10. It small but fairly heavy for its size. Although it does feel comfortable in my hands. It is definitely not a camera for fast shooting though.

      Delete