Thursday, January 10, 2013

Aires Viscount

Made: 1959
Shutter: Seikosha-SLV leaf 
Shutter speeds: 1 sec to 1/500 sec plus B
Lens: Six element 45mm f1.9 H Coral














I think this is one of the most beautiful cameras that I have.  Surprisingly to me at least it may have been a fairly inexpensive camera in its day.  I have seen some info in various forums that indicate that the Aires Viscount sold for around $60 back in the 1950's.  The one that I have works well with the exception of one critical flaw.  The focusing ring appears loose.  So far I haven't been able to find any info on how to fix it.  Someday I plan to make some time to spend on the camera repair forum to see if I can get headed in the right direction.

So right now the Aires Viscount is mostly just to look at.  I did notice that the rangefinder spot comes into focus on objects that are around 15 feet.  So I figured I could take some pictures using f/16 and get a reasonable focus.  I loaded about ten exposures of bulk HP5 and things worked out well enough.  At least it did let me have a taste of what the camera would be like to use.  And I would say that the actual use was enjoyable enough to give me some motivation to get the Aires Viscount working.  It is a very smooth camera with a quiet shutter.  So hopefully 2013 will be the year when this camera is restored.  Below are a couple of the photos from my experiment.







































4 comments:

  1. Mild specs on this one until you see "f/1.9" on that lens. That makes it worth investing some repair time into, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my thinking also. I would like to see how it does wide open.

      Delete
  2. looks like a cool camera good luck on your restoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh. I hope I can get it working this winter.

      Delete