Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fodor 35

Made: 1955-57 by Nihon Kosokki Kogyo Co.,LTD.
Type: 35mm Rangefinder
Shutter: NKS-Mx leaf
Shutter Speeds: 1,1/2,1/5,1/10,1/25,1/50,1/100,1/300
Lens: Lausar 1:2.8 f=4.5 cm made by Tomioka Opt. Co.
Flash: MFX synchronized at all speeds. 






The Fodor 35 is a Taron 35 which was re-branded by the Dutch company Fodor.  It had some pretty modern features for its time like a single stroke winding lever. I think it is a handsome example of the solidly made all mechanical rangefinders that flourished in the 1950's. I couldn't find much info about this camera, however I was guess it was aimed at the serious amateur probably selling in the $80 to $100 range. My example is in good shape except for the rangefinder spot is very faded.  Which obviously is a serious shortcoming. At some point I plan on opening the top and seeing if there is anything I can do to improve things.  Otherwise the camera is pleasant to use.  I imagine that when it was new the Fodor 35 was a very satisfying camera.


 The Lausar lens while not outstanding seems like a competent lens.  I don't think that I will be the first to say that Lausar seems like an unfortunate choice of names for a lens.












Mostly my reaction when I was able to get an image in reasonable focus with this camera was "that's okay".










The Lausar lens does render color very accurately.  I was impressed by that in all the color photos that I used it for. Overall I think the Fodor/Taron 35 gets an "A" for its ease of use and handling.  Film loading is easy, the camera feels good in the hands, and while we take it for granted now the wind lever is nice for a camera of this era. The lens seems capable of good results.  The Taron 35 is much more commonly found on Ebay than the Fodor 35.  They usually sell between $10 and $30.  At that price I think it makes a nice addition to a collection. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to put this one on my radar and watch for it on eBay. I love cameras I can get for as little as $10 that do good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might take a few months, however I would think that you should be able to find a good one for a decent price.

      Delete